Monday, May 25, 2015

A Teacher's Aide's Journal #6


     I had an interesting conversation with one of my co-workers and I asked her why does everyone seem so disgruntled at work? She explained that everyone is bitter due to past treatments.  The conversation came about when I noticed that it was approaching time to leave, but there were still people waiting in line at school registration.  The line started outside in the school parking lot.  At the entrance door was a security guard who waited for a call over the radio that informed him of how many people in that line he could allow through and into the band room where the parents were to wait in  a different line until we called them to our table.  It was near time to leave and the band room was filled with parents.  Every seat was taken.  This was the third day of registration and people were entering the building in droves.  The general consensus between the other teacher’s aides who worked with me was that when the clock struck seven p.m. they would leave with no regard to the people in line or in the band room.  Ms. Ware explained to me that there would be no overtime paid to us for extra work and that home was an hour away; therefore volunteer work was not an option.  Mrs. Hernandez said that she would consider volunteering her time, if she was not treated so poorly in the past.  It was mentioned that she would be assigned to a one on one with a student.   Aides assigned to one on ones were given a single student to shadow from the first period to the last.  That aide was responsible for getting the student to class and assisting that student in whatever way was necessary for the student’s Individual Education Plan that was created by a team of professionals. 

My personal thoughts regarding these teams are mixed.  Obviously I hesitate in making broad accusations and statements so with that disclaimer; I will say that in my personal and professional experience, the entire beast that I will call special education needs to be revamped.  First, I’ll start with my personal experience.  I have a child who has a hearing deficiency that came from a sickness during the toddler years. The sickness caused a fever that apparently damaged the developing hairs inside of the ear.  Such damage is irreparable.  My child is a three sport athlete, reads well, loves science, and does well in math. By all comparisons at worst she is an average child.  Due to the hearing issue in the right ear, it was determined that an Individual Educational Plan (IEP) was needed to give accommodations.  The accommodations involved seating arrangements in the front of the class or closes to the teacher and to the right side so that most audio could come at her from the left side.   With that being said, I found myself over the last three years of elementary school literally fighting with professional teams regarding in class treatment.  In my experience with my daughter, the professional team seems to do everything in their power to cripple my daughter instead of empowering her to self-advocate.  The go overboard with services even at one time suggesting that they force teachers to use a microphone in class to assist my daughter’s hearing.  This was far overboard as she had damage in one ea. When she played sports she does not use her hearing aids.  When she stands in center field, I’ve never saw her softball coach have issues adjusting her when he calls to her from the dugout.  I say all of this to say that despite the special education team’s insisting that my daughter have a resource class, microphones, and special ear pieces, she does well enough without them and she only needs two accommodations: sit in front of the class and a teacher that can keep the classroom quiet or at least free from disruption. I have many more examples of how the special ed team in this district does more harm than good.

      Mrs. Hernandez was very unhappy with the assignment and said that she would try to fight it. As a one on one, she would have to follow a student to every class and sit in that class to assist that student.  She did not like the fact that she would was assigned to the student at the bequest of a parent’s request that the one on one teacher’s aide have the ability of bilingual speech.  She believed that sense the student’s IEP did not mandate a bilingual one on one, she should have additional pay for her services.  She felt that she was given this assignment because she has a special ability and that was some sort of discrimination.  She felt that if she was given an assignment based on having a skill that other aides do not have, then she should be compensated financially.  So for this reason, she planned to fight the assignment.

     When it was 7:00, everyone at my table left, so did I.

                                           Freshman Orientation

    Today the Aides punched the clock and walked to the lounge.  I joined them there and did some research on the computer.  Then I made some hotel reservations for my son who was invited to Texas for a baseball show case.  We had some interesting conversations some of which I found myself getting involved.  First we talked about police officers.  Apparently there was an incident in St. Louis where some kid was in a fight with a police officer.  Ms. Thompson started to talk about that children should submit to the authority of the police.  Ms. Gomez the registrar came in for a few minutes and expressed her worries relating to her grandchildren regarding police harassment.  I shared the information that I told my children.  I told them not to talk back to the police officer and do not explain things to them.  I told them to first ask “Am I under arrest?”  If the answer is yes, then they are only obligated to state their name and where they lived.  If they are pulled over for a traffic violation, they do not need to get out of the car.  I also told my sons that if they are involved with a police officer, turn on the video recording of their cell phone and inform the police that they are recording the conversation.  The should ask for the policeman’s badge number and inform the police that when the recording stops the video is automatically sent to his online drop box account.  Ms. Thompson’s thought that what I told my sons were extreme and intimidating to the police.  She did, however agree that they should do whatever the police officer asks.   I shared two stories.  One story was about my oldest son who was approached by a police.  The officer asked him if he had a gun.  He said no and continued to walk away.  The police asked him to stop, he did.  Then he asked the police officer if he was under arrest and if so the charge.  The police officer did not answer the question and apprehended my son.  They got into a scuffle.  In the end, the judge dismissed the charges of resisting arrest due to the fact that there was no probable cause for arrest.  I shared with them a second story about a day when my youngest son and I were heading home in a taxi from the cinema.  The taxi was stopped by a police officer.  Then there were four other cars that came and surrounded us.  They pulled out their guns, made my younger son who was 12 years old get out of the taxi, lay face down on the ground and then they hand cuffed him.  I had just purchased him a new wooden baseball bat just before we went to the movie while we were at the mall.  They had me get out of the car and they went through all of my personal belongings – a briefcase.  They said that they drew their weapons because of the baseball bat.  They said that there was a recent robbery of a taxi driver in the area and that is why they stopped us; coupled with the idea that it “looked like,” my son was trying to slouch in the back seat.  After I started to refer to police officers by badge number, they changed their aggressive tone to a more apologetic one.  “We just came from the movie theater Star number 3218,” I remember saying.  All of these things and more happened within a few months.

Not by coincidence, my daughter had her softball bat taken from her by a police officer.  She had the bat in a softball bag that was a back pack.  The handle of the bat was visible and because of that, the police officer, holding his gun in hand, called my daughter to him while she walked from the high school along 5th avenue.  He told her to give him the bat and she did.  It took me a month to get back the softball bat.  I was told that the officer took the bat because he was afraid that someone would take it from her and use it for a weapon.  I am over 40 years old and I cannot say with much certainty that I have any respect for a police officer.

      Mrs. Hernandez asked me if it made me felt safe because the treatment that my three children received from police officers was strict evidence that the police officers were protecting the neighborhood.  Ms. Thompson held firm that the police officers had the guns and for that reason alone, we should simply do whatever they ask.  I told Mrs. Hernandez that W.E.B Dubois once said that the police system was designed in the South to control slaves.  This is no less far from the truth in the North.  The police system in America is in no way designed to do anything more than intimidate, frustrate and impose American racism on blacks and Hispanics alike. 

     We had another conversation about the new contract.  Ms. Thompson pretended to be knowledgeable about the contract.  It was asked what happens to sick and personal days when or if one retires.  She said that the contract allows us to have our personal days and they will pay us full rate for them, but they will pay us $35 for each sick day.  I commented that that was a loss of money it was better to use all of the sick days, and then retire or resign.  Then Ms. Thompson said that we would get paid all of our sick days up to $2000.  By then, I realized that she didn’t know what she spoke of and I ignored the rest of the conversation. 


     When Ms. Willis entered, the conversation of her assignment from yesterday took command.  Yesterday, she was given a female freshman student who was dealing with down-syndrome.  Ms. Willis was the student’s one on one aide during the freshman orientation.  The student later was assigned to Trainable Mentally Handicap classes. The wording has changed suddenly to TST – but no one knows what TST means.   Ms. Willis told her story about how the girl was resistant to participate in the freshman orientation activities.  She did not want to enter certain rooms, or walk down certain hallways at certain times.  She did not want to write and she became at one point aggressive enough to hit Ms. Willis’s hand.  The conversation went on to critique the decision of bringing the student to school on an orientation day where mainstream freshmen were walking through the building on scavenger hunts, forming groups and teams for various competitions.  It was obvious to Ms. Willis that the activities and the environment were not good or safe for the girl or the mainstream students who had to come into contact with her.  Then the conversation veered into Ms. Willis’s lack of training.  In fact, she had not been given any special training neither had she been advised on what to do with a child dealing with down-syndrome.  She felt helpless.   

No comments:

Post a Comment